FinX is revolutionizing the nautical world by developing an undulating membrane for boat engines, imitating fish swimming. This new propulsion, which replaces the propeller by a fin, is eco-designed, bio-inspired, efficient, electric and totally safe. It represents the future of nautical mobility.
The Fin5 is the first finned boat motor in the world, without propeller, 100% electric and safe, 2kW (equivalent in thrust to a 5 HP engine). First FinX product, it is dedicated to small boats (boats and dinghies) and sailboats up to 3 tons.
A true technological innovation, this new linear (non-rotating) motor has the particularity of not “mixing” the fluid like a propeller does, but of propelling it in a straight line, like the silent power of marine mammals. The Fin5 will equip small recreational boats (boat rental companies without a license, distributors, individuals, etc.). The Fin5 is marketed, available for pre-orders. The first series of engines will be industrialized at the beginning of 2023.
The Fin150 is the second FinX finned boat engine, currently under development. With a power of 150HP (120kW), it will be equipped with two planar membranes, and will benefit from the same disruptive advantages as the Fin5, with the addition of hydrogen. The Fin150 will be dedicated to river and/or tourist shuttles, shipyards, workboats, boat rental companies, etc.
After the Fin5 (5CV-2kW) and the Fin150 (150-120kW), FinX will develop intermediate ranges, as well as higher powers, with an objective: the generalized replacement of the propeller.
Thanks to this wave membrane technology, with immense potential, FinX wants to become a leader in the energy transition and will address another gigantic market: industrial pumps.
By choosing innovation and the future, FinX is part of the dynamics of the energy transition and honors its objective of becoming a low-carbon player in the world of tomorrow.
FinX propulsion technology brings major advantages:
- Safer technology: no risk of cutting or injury due to the absence of a propeller. The motor is robust against marine debris (plastics, ropes) and algae: no risk of entanglement.
- Reduced maintenance and upkeep: the motor is ultra-simplified, consisting of only a few parts.
- A more efficient system, with a very high reactivity at start-up.
- More energy-efficient system: FinX propulsion technology reduces the losses usually induced by the propeller’s rotary motion and promises a speed equal to that of the propeller at the same power.
- A quieter technology, due to the absence of mechanical parts in friction, as well as reduced cavitations.
- A technology Made in France.
FinX Board is composed of :
– Loïck Peyron, sailor and also FinX godfather,
– Alain Renaudin, “pope” of biomimicry in Europe, President and Founder of NewCorp Conseil and Biomim’expo,
– Jérémie Lagarrigue, CEO of Energy Observer Developments,
– Hervé Gastinel, President of Ponant, former CEO of Bénéteau,
– Didier Boullery, IBM European Innovation Manager – Co-President of ESSEC Alumni Business Angels,
– Jean-François Galloüin, successful businessman, Pedagogical Manager of the Centrale ESSEC Entrepreneurs Specialized Master, professor at ESSEC and CentraleSupélec.
FinX is already taking part in the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games adventure.
FinX has won the “Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games” Call for Innovations (France Mobilités, Ministry of Ecological Transition), which aims to promote green mobility during the Games.
The start-up will motorize 5 shuttles on the Seine thanks to the Fin150 (100 kW, equivalent to 150 HP), its second product (electric or H2).
Address1 rue de Bruneval
76610 - Le Havre - France Phone: +33 7 49 32 92 88
- brochure-fin5-english-1( pdf - 1.27 MB )
Intervention domainsEnergy efficiency - Combating greenhouse gases - Energy efficiency - Marine - Corporate social responsibility - Renewables energies - Eco-design - Mechanical-physical processes - Membrane plant - Small-scale hydroelectric energy - Water infrastructure
Certifications, labels or price
FinX was incubated in the high places of French research during its first 3 years:
– at CentraleSupélec, where the FabLab made it possible to develop the first prototypes,
– at ESSEC.
FinX is supported by Bpifrance and is part of the following networks/organisations: Fédération des Industries Nautiques, Pôle Mer Méditerranée, Pôle Mer Bretagne Atlantique, RespectOcean, AFBE, EVOLEN, ANRT, Normandie Maritime, Mouvement Impact France, Evolis Symop, Cluster Maritime Français, GICAN, French Tech Paris Saclay.
FinX is also a member of the French Tech Seed and labeled DeepTech.
Among the prizes won:
I-Demo, Bpifrance (Corimer), September 2022
CleanTech Open Global US – World winner – 1st prize foreign company category & Audience award
CleanTech Open France – Winner France, Mobility sector, 12th edition
i-Nov – Winner (Sept. 2021)
Innovate for tomorrow, Winner (Sept. 2021)
CleanTech Open Global US – Winner worldwide – 1st prize in the foreign company category & Public Prize
CleanTech Open France – Winner France, Mobility category, 12th edition
i-Nov – Winner (Sept. 2021)
ESSEC Founders Day – Finalist (Sept. 2021)
Challenge des Innovations Durables – Winner (July 13, 2021)
Energy Boat Challenge – Winner – Exhibitors’ Favorite Award (10/07/2021)
Start-up Word Cup – Semi-finalist France (29/06/2021)
Ocean Pitch Challenge – Winner, 1st prize (26/05/2021)
Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games – Winner, “Active and New Mobilities” category (06/05/2021)
Spring 50 Paris Saclay – Winner, “Mobility” category (16/04/2021)
Prix Félix – Winner of the Prix Félix 2020 in the “Coup de Pouce” category (27/01/2021)
La Tribune – National winner “10 000 start-ups to change the world” – “Start” category (08/09/2020)
i-Lab – Winner of the national competition (03/03/2020)
Techinnov – Winner in the “Sustainable Mobility” category (27/02/2020)
La Tribune – Winner of the Ile-de-France “10 000 start-ups to change the world – “Start” (31/01/2020)
Trophées Océan – Winner (16/01/2020)
SATT de Saclay – Deep Tech Labeling (10/01/2020)
Sardine Trophy – Finalist, final in May 2020 (21/11/2019)
Paris-Saclay SPRING – Winner in the “Mobility” category (20/05/2019)
Vivatech – Finalist “Next Startupper Challenge” (18/05/2019)